Maybe you’ve been there. If you’re like me, you know you’re on the right track, you know you’re evolving and growing and moving towards that teeny light you can see at the end of the tunnel, but you also aren’t loving the journey.Read More
Who are you, sister? Tell us a little about yourself. Hola! Im Sonia. I’m from the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico. I’m a pediatrician with 90 percent of my work in a private practice and the other 10 percent in the Pediatrics ER. I’m a daughter whose dad is my guardian angel and my tree of life.…Read More
Sometimes it’s still hard for me to unhook from the mistaken beliefs of “perfection” that once raged loudly inside my mind. Perfect weight… “If I lose these 30 pounds I gained in college, then I’ll be attractive again and thus, dateable. And then I’ll be happy.” Perfect job… “If I get a promotion to manager, then I’ll be respected at…Read More
Practicing joy is a skill, a mindset, and a way of looking at the world that keeps me from getting lost in the hurt, fear, and ugliness that are so often shoved in my face in today’s media culture. It’s the anchor to not giving up.Read More
If your heart is set on making a living from your work, you owe it to yourself to discover what you’re most passionate about, and design your day-to-day experience to get as much of that as possible.Read More
Oprah has said, “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” I believe practicing joy happens every single day by being grateful for what you have. When I express gratitude for a beautiful snowy day, a student who has had a huge success, or for little things like fuzzy blankets – I find myself in such a better mental headspace. I find myself in the spirit of joy. I also find joy by surrounding myself with those who life me higher. Practicing joy is an ever-evolving practice centered in celebrating what I already have.Read More
Have you ever looked at the woman next to you and thought, “Why is her life better than mine?” There’s a reason for that. And no, it’s not: “You aren’t working hard enough.” In fact, your time is coming. We are all experiencing a different stage of the same life cycle. We have been here…Read More
It’s a common trait of women — of the care-taking role we’re conditioned to embrace — to put everyone’s needs ahead of your own. How can I help you? How can I support you? How can I take care of you?
Striving to be all things to all people is exhausting.
Why don’t you try asking yourself these very same questions for a change — How can I help myself? How can I support myself? How can I take care of myself?
The answer is commitment. Commitment to your own personal fulfillment and flourishing. Commitment with your whole heart. Commitment with your full sense of self.
You can commit in many forms — with time, energy or money, with your willingness to clash with society or the persona your partner/friends/family expect you to be, with your sacred rituals that remind you who you are and what you love.Read More